Nigerian judicial panel condemns Lekki 2020

The deadly violence committed by the Nigerian military on the night of October 20, 2020 could be considered a “massacre”, a government-appointed panel concluded on Monday, contradicting previous official accounts of the incident.

The Judicial Investigation and Restitution Panel of the Lagos Arbitration Court had been charged with investigating the famous shooting at the Lekki tollbooth in Lagos last year, when Nigerian security forces opened fire on youths peacefully protesting alleged police brutality .Its explosive report, which took more than a year to produce, accuses Nigerian army officers of having “shot.

wounded and killed defenseless and defenseless unarmed protesters, without provocation or justification, while waving the Nigerian flag and singing the national anthem. “. and the form of assault and murder could be described in context as a massacre.

The panel also found that “the conduct of the Nigerian army was exacerbated by its refusal to allow ambulances to provide medical assistance to victims in need of such assistance. It was also found that the army had not adhered to its own rules of engagement. The panel report underscores and repeatedly references previous reports by CNN, which used timestamps,

video data and geolocation last year to analyze hours of video filmed by protesters.Despite the abundance of video evidence, the Nigerian government has long denied that protesters were shot. Last month, on the first anniversary of the shooting, Nigerian Information Minister Alhaji Lai Mohammed described the incident as a “phantom massacre” and continued to dismiss the CNN investigation as fake news. The government and military did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Monday’s judicial panel report, which quotes CNN dozens of times.

However, Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said the Lagos state government would implement the panel’s recommendations, according to local media. This will help adequate restitution and compensation for all who must have been harmed. I want to assure you that a white paper will be issued.

I will set up a committee to review the document within two weeks and produce a white paper.” Said Sanwo- Olu, according to the International Center for Investigative Reporting. About 70 victims of police brutality received a total of 410 million naira (about $ 1 million) in compensation, said panel chair Judge Doris Okuwobi .

About Kepala Bergetar

KBergetar Tonton Drama Melayu dan Download Malay Live Filem Video, Kepala Bergetar Episod Malay Drama dfm2u. Tonton Gempak Episode Terbaru Malaysia Filem. Malay Kepala Drama. Kepala Bergetar Melayu Tonton dan Download Drama Live Melayu Movie Filem Video Drama Malay dfm2u Tonton Gempak Episod Terbaru Filem KBergetar

Check Also

50,000-year-old social network revealed in Africa

50,000-year-old social network revealed in Africa

Thousands of years before Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok, small accounts helped humans make social connections. …